I. An interview with Minnesota State Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach Pat Monaghan.
For Pat’s bio from the Minnesota State website please click here.
Among the things we discuss are…
- What he learned from Kyle Green, Jim Whitesell, & Jay Herkelman
- The importance of players adapting to the coaching staff
- Defensive focus
- IQ of the game
- Play hard
- Tips for Young Coaches
- Don’t be afraid to go to a lower level to network and connect.
II. Tip of the Week- Learning From Legends: Hall of Famer, “Big House” Gaines
- Winning isn’t everything.
- Inspire by rewarding effort.
- Looked for leaders in recruiting.
- Best communication tip: put player in car and drive (not recommended today for legal reasons!)
- Coach should create team spirit.
- Like players that took chances.
- Gave players from tough circumstances a chance if they were willing to work.
- There is, and should be, a difference between a ‘wanna be’ and a ‘gonna be!’
- Can never prepare too much.
- Don’t be a dummy.
- Never set too many rules.
- Everyone is motivated by something different.
For Coach Gaines’ book please click here.
After coaching and working with basketball teams at the college and high school level in a variety of roles for 18 years, I have returned to finish my Ph.D. in Kinesiology. This www.CoachingBasketballWisely.com website is a way to share the coaching tips, strategies, and techniques gathered in a career in coaching. See more info on me here.
If you like what we do PLEASE leave us a rating on iTunes & sign up for our free newsletter at the top right.
Our Coaching Basketball Wisely podcasts are way to help basketball coaches of all experience levels learn how to coach basketball, and how to coach basketball better, faster! Whether you are a youth basketball coach, a middle school basketball coach, a high school basketball coach, a college basketball coach, or a professional basketball coach we all need to keep learning! If there are particular basketball coaching tips or topics that you would like to see covered in future episodes please let us know!!