I do not claim to be the best coach in the world, but because I know this- I can be a better coach! I have been blessed to learn from both winning and losing seasons in many different situations:
My Teams, By the Numbers…
- 0 Number of times a championship ring has sent me an email, text, message, or called to say they were getting married, having a baby, got a promotion, someone passed away, etc.
- 0 Fewest points allowed in a high school quarter
- 1 State championships with high school girls (GA)
- 1 Highest state ranking with high school boys (NC)
- 2 NBA draft picks at the college level
- 2 Schools led to the state playoffs for the first time in school history
- 2 Wins my first season as a high school head coach (same number as Roy Williams and Gregg Popovich in their first season)
- 2 Number of times the head coach I worked for was fired, despite both setting a school record for wins the previous season (once in HS and once in college).
- 3 McDonald’s All-Americans at the college level
- 4 Schools that have set a school record for wins
- 4 Highest national ranking at the college level
- 4 Number of my assistant coaches who became varsity head coaches
- 5’3” Shortest varsity boys’ starter at the high school level
- 7 Number of times I have been asked to speak by USA Basketball at Coach Academies and Regional Camps
- 7’2” Tallest varsity boys’ starter at the high school level
- 8 ` Programs that won a championship or set a school record for wins
- 9 Number of co-workers who became NCAA DI head coaches
- 9 Total programs coached (2 college, 4 HS, 1 MS, 1 travel, 1 recreation)
- 12 States coached a camp or clinic (AL, CT, GA, IL, MI, NC, NV, OH, SC, TN, & VA)
- 16 Sweet 16: Deepest run in the NCAA DI tournament
- 20 Different basketball camps worked since 1995
- 61 Seniors coached
- 109 Most points our team scored as a head coach
- 110 Most points our team scored as an assistant coach
My Teams, By the Situation…
- Men, boys, & girls’ teams
- Inner-city, suburban, & rural locations
- Public schools & private schools
- Recreational league & travel team
- AA, AAA, AAAA, & AAAAA high school classifications
- Mid-major & major college programs
Frequently Asked Questions: (Click the links for more info)
F.A.Q. 1: Yeah, but have you won any CHAMPIONSHIPS?
F.A.Q. 2: Yeah, but what LEVELS have you coached?
F.A.Q. 3: Yeah, but did any of your players play in COLLEGE?
F.A.Q. 4: Yeah, but did any of your players play PRO?
F.A.Q. 5: Yeah, but have you received any RECOGNITION?
But, the most important thing is it’s not about me! The entire point of starting Coaching Basketball Wisely was to share information from the best coaches at every level of basketball from around the world- not because I thought I had all the answers because I don’t! However, I do relentlessly pursue the answers and want to share what I find with you!