I. A shout out to the Center for Sport, Peace, and Society
II. An interview with Oklahoma State Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach Chris Ferguson.
Coach Ferguson For his bio from the Oklahoma State website please click here.
Among the things we discuss are…
- What he learned from Jerry Green, Tom Apke, Bill Foster, Buzz Peterson, Ricky Stokes, Sean Sutton, & Travis Ford.
- How kids have changed- need more time off the court.
- The importance of individual workouts (Rick Pitino)
- Finishing at full-speed
- Some of the best drills are drills without the basketball
- Has players develop their own plan
- As a player- head and heart
- As a coach- lower levels need more numbers in their recruiting base
- Family-life balance
- Eat one meal a day as a family
- Tips for Young Coaches
- Connections & Being Positive
III. Tip of the Week- Reducing Turnovers ideas based on former Temple Coach John Chaney
- Passing is a team skill
- The point guard determines team philosophy
- Post men must play in a crowd
- We design how we win or lose
- Discipline (Roles, Rules, & Responsibilities)
After coaching and working with basketball teams at the college and high school level in a variety of roles for 18 years, I have returned to finish my Ph.D. in Kinesiology. This www.CoachingBasketballWisely.com website is a way to share the coaching tips, strategies, and techniques gathered in a career in coaching. See more info on me here.
If you like what we do PLEASE leave us a rating on iTunes &
sign up for our free newsletter at the top right.
Our Coaching Basketball Wisely podcasts are way to help basketball coaches of all experience levels learn how to coach basketball, and how to coach basketball better, faster! Whether you are a youth basketball coach, a middle school basketball coach, a high school basketball coach, a college basketball coach, or a professional basketball coach we all need to keep learning! If there are particular basketball coaching tips or topics that you would like to see covered in future episodes please let us know!!