(originally recorded on 4/12/12)
I. An interview with Coach John Coffino, Head Men’s Basketball Coach of the Albany Legends- a professional IBA team.
- Coach Coffino also has extensive experience in college basketball and international basketball. For a detailed bio of Basketball Coach John Coffino from Wikipedia please click here.
Among the things we discuss are…
- How he ended up coaching in Qatar & FIBA rules differences
- Mistakes he made as a young coach
- Questioning his head coach
- Preseason Basketball Practice Ideas
- Make it fun and interesting
- Differences in pro and college basketball coaching
- In-season Ideas
- Value your players’ time
- Recruiting Tips for Basketball Players
- Little things!
- Be coachable!
- Recruiting Tips for Basketball Coaches
- Tips for Getting into College or Professional Basketball Coaching
- Work camps, network, watch videos, do whatever it takes!
II. Basketball Coaching Tip of the Week: Ten Advantages of Pressing from Bruce Pearl
- Wears opponents down
- Your team plays more aggressively
- Disrupts opponents’ offense
- Different style
- Comeback potential
- Score in bunches
- Creates turnovers in the red zone
- Players and fans like it
- Control tempo
- Build team chemistry
Until next time, Coach ’em up!
About the author: After coaching and working with basketball teams at the college, high school, and youth level in a variety of roles for 18 years, I have returned to finish my Ph.D. in Kinesiology & Sport Studies. This www.CoachingBasketballWisely.com website is a way to share the coaching tips, strategies, and techniques gathered in a career in coaching. See more info on me here.
If you like what we do PLEASE leave us a rating on iTunes & sign up for our free newsletter at the top right.
Our Coaching Basketball Wisely podcasts are way to help basketball coaches of all experience levels learn how to coach basketball, and how to coach basketball better, faster! Whether you are a youth basketball coach, a middle school basketball coach, a high school basketball coach, a college basketball coach, or a professional basketball coach we all need to keep learning! We cover basketball practice tips, basketball recruiting tips, work-life balance, and much more. If there are particular basketball coaching tips or topics that you would like to see covered in future episodes please let us know!!