- This position is responsible for creating and maintaining a successful men’s basketball program for the institution.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Athletics, keeping him/her abreast of all planning, organizing, day to day operations, staff and player development of the College of Southern Idaho Men’s Basketball program.
- Executes all responsibilities as Head Coach in a manner that reflects an ongoing commitment to the excellence, integrity and success of the Men’s Basketball program, and the College of Southern Idaho.
- Supports the philosophy and mission of the College.
- Prepares and organizes daily practice sessions, game preparation for competition and off-season training.
- Recommends and prepares all schedules for home/away tournaments and non-conference games in coordination with the Director of Athletics.
- Prepares contracts and maintains communication with these non-conference opponents.
- Supervises the team, in conjunction with staff, on all team trips.
- Is responsible for coordination of travel, paying of travel expenses, accounting of expenses, motel and travel reservations, and assigning study time while on team travel functions.
- Organizes and administers the recruiting of prospective student athletes in accordance with the SWAC, and the NJCAA policies and procedures.
- Responsible for tracking the admissions and eligibility process involving recruited student athletes, and for working collaboratively with the Director of Athletics and compliance support personnel in this regard.
- Organizes and directs the coaching staff to carry out the goals and objectives of the men’s basketball program.
- Conducts yearly performance evaluations for staff.
- In coordination with the Athletic Director, prepares a yearly budget and responsibly expends the allocated budget to ensure that the budget balances each fiscal year.
- Implements appropriate risk management strategies at all times.
- Engages in regular consultation with the athletic training and sports medicine partners to maximize the safety and wellness of student athletes.
- Insures that all athletes have a recent physical prior to practice and works with the athletic trainer in conducting a physical assessment prior to practice to address physical deficiencies that could lead to injury.
- Responsible for monitoring and supporting the student-athletes academic progress in consultation and coordination with the Academic Support Services personnel.
- Provides general advising, mentoring and support to student athletes and tracks and monitors, in coordination with staff, the academic progress moving towards graduation.
- Monitors class schedules, grades and student-athlete academic progress throughout the year.
- Responsible for complying with the rules and regulations of the NJCAA as it relates to the men’s basketball program.
- Communicate the implementation of the CSI Athletic Department Drug and Alcohol policy.
- Formulate and communicate appropriate team rules for drugs, alcohol, dress, behavior, class attendance, study hall attendance, etc.
- Responsible for assisting and supporting the College of Southern Idaho Athletic Department in the overall administration of operations.
- Actively participates and assists in promotional, marketing, public relations and fundraising activities for the program in the community, schools and the college campus.
- Establish and maintain an ethical and moral code of behavior and living that is expected of the student-athletes within the program.
- For those residing on campus, develop living expectations and monitor behavior in coordination with the residence hall director and office of Student Services.
- As a representative of the College of Southern Idaho Athletic Department, role models and engages in ethical decision-making and outstanding sportsmanship during contests, practices and all other related activities.
- Demonstrates through actions and communications a respect for the student athlete’s general welfare as well as shows a respect for diversity and cross-cultural differences.
- When conducting basketball camps to provide a community service to the youth (boys) in our area, camps will be run under the direction of the College of Southern Idaho and through the support services of the CSI Business Office.
- Participate where possible in local, regional, and national coaching athletic governing bodies. Encouraged to teach methods classes and organize coaching clinics for local coaches.
- Perform other duties as required by the department.
$70,000 annually negotiable