I. An interview with Patrick Hunt. Coach Hunt is the Applied Technical Advancement Coach at the Australian Institute of Sport & the current President of the World Associationn of Basketball Coaches. Hunt has extensive experience coaching Australian basketball at the international level.
Click here for a link to more info on Coach Hunt from the Australian Institute of Sport website.
Among the things we discuss in the interview are…
- What is the World Association of Basketball Coaches?
- His role at AIS- helping high performance coaches share information and be lifelong learners
- If learning is a change in behavior due to an experience, then coaches have the responsibility to provide the best experience from which players can learn
- Australia’s National Intensive Training Center Program
- Australia’s beliefs on teaching individual skills and position specialization & principles of play like man to man defense and motion offense
- People can become imitators rather than teachers
- International Basketball Federation FIBA
- Australian Institute of Sport http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/
Basketball Australia http://www.basketball.net.au/
II. Spotlight on What’s Right: An interview with Positive Coaching Alliance founder Jim Thompson.
- For a great video on PCA click this link for a Youtube video: http://youtu.be/RbscMiCFT-c
- How and why PCA started
- Double Goal Coach: 1st goal is wining. 2nd, more important goal is life lessons.
- 2nd Goal Parent: Focus on the life lessons.
- Triple Impact Competitors: make self, teammates, & the game better by the way he or she competes
- Mallory Moment
- Positive Coaching Alliance http://www.positivecoach.org/
- Elevating Your Game: Becoming a Triple-Impact Competitor
- The Power of Double-Goal Coaching: Developing Winners in Sports and Life
- Positive Coaching: Building Character and Self-esteem Through Sports
If you like what we do PLEASE leave us a rating on iTunes & sign up for our free newsletter at the top right.
Our Coaching Basketball Wisely podcasts are way to help basketball coaches of all experience levels learn how to coach basketball, and how to coach basketball better, faster! Whether you are a youth basketball coach, a middle school basketball coach, a high school basketball coach, a college basketball coach, or a professional basketball coach we all need to keep learning! If there are particular basketball coaching tips or topics that you would like to see covered in future episodes please let us know!!