Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach Job Description:
- Located on 49 acres in downtown Portland, Portland State is Oregon’s largest, most diverse, and only public urban university. PSU seeks to meet the needs of its increasingly diverse population (approximately 23% of the 28,000 undergraduate and graduate students are racially/ethnically diverse), through its curriculum, research, and community service activities.
- POSITION SUMMARY: Responsible for assisting in all aspects of developing and advancing a competitive women’s basketball program in the Big Sky Conference. This includes, but is not limited to:
- coaching, recruiting, and counseling student-athletes;
- managing daily administrative duties of the program;
- fundraising and public relations;
- supervising student assistants;
- adhering to all rules and regulation of the university, NCAA, and Big Sky conference.
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERFORMANCE STANDARDS:
- 1.Assist in developing, directing, and advancing a competitive women’s basketball program.
- 2.Identify, recruit, and select quality student-athletes.
- 3.Assist in the organization and planning of practice and competitive strategies.
- 4.Oversee athletes’ skill and physical development.
- 5.Monitoring student-athletes’ academic progress, performance, and retention – culminating in graduation
- 6.Lead and motivate student-athletes to maximize their potential.
- 7.Assist with administrative duties, which may include but is not limited to ordering equipment and supplies, arranging team travel and practice facilities.
- 8.Enforce team rules.
- 9.Demonstrate knowledge, understanding, and commitment to compliance with Portland State University, NCAA, and Big Sky policies, rules, and regulations.
- 10.Demonstrate the knowledge and skills to assist a competitive Division I women’s basketball program. Remain current on all trends, methods, and innovations related to basketball and coaching.
- 11.Participate in program and departmental fundraising, public relations, and promotional efforts.
- 12.Work effectively with department support services personnel to enhance the welfare and personal, social, academic, and athletic development of student-athletes.
- 13.Other duties as assigned by the Head Women’s Basketball Coach.
KEY CULTURAL COMPETENCIES:
- 1. Create an environment that acknowledges, encourages, and celebrates differences.
- 2. Function and communicate effectively and respectfully within the context of varying beliefs, behaviors, orientations, identities, and cultural backgrounds.
- 3. Seeks opportunities to gain experience working and collaborating in diverse, multicultural, and inclusive setting with a willingness to change for continual improvement.
- 4. Adhere to all of PSU’s policies including the policies on Prohibited Discrimination & Harassment and the Professional Standards of Conduct.
ETHICAL RESPONSIBILITIES: The employee, as a member of the Intercollegiate Athletic Department, agrees to represent the University in an honorable and ethical manner at all times, to the best of her/his abilities. Standards for ethical conduct for Athletic Department staff are established and enforce by the Athletic Director, the University, the State of Oregon, the State Board of Higher Education, the Big Sky, and the NCA
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Minimum four years collegiate coaching required.
- NCAA Division I recruiting experience preferred.
- Demonstrated excellence in professional/interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to the total welfare of student-athletes.
- Demonstrated commitment to developing a successful women’s basketball program both academically and athletically. Must become 1st Aid/CPR certified before on court coaching occurs.
- Final applicants for this position will be subject to a criminal background check.
- PSU is an AA/EO institution and, welcomes applications from diverse candidates and candidates who support diversity.
- Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position filled. Send resume, letter of application, and name, address and phone number of at least three references by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or fax to 503-725-8985, Attn. Sherri Murrell, or mail the above information to: Assistant Women’s Basketball Coach Search, Portland State University Athletics, Attn: Sherri Murrell, P.O. Box 751, Portland, OR 97207-0751