Hobart and Smith Colleges
Assistant Coach, Women’s Basketball/Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Department of William Smith Athletics
Assist the head coach in the organization, development and planning of the basketball program, including practice planning, scouting, recruiting, conditioning, game-day duties, administrative tasks, video editing and other duties in the department as assigned. Instruct all William Smith student-athletes in the safe and correct execution of flexibility, plyometrics, Olympic lifts, and speed development exercises.
• Demonstrate competency in sport skill instruction, motivation, and the ability to conduct practice sessions under the direction of the head coach.
• Effectively recruit prospective student-athletes under the direction of the head coach.
• Adhere to all sport governing, departmental, and institutional rules and policies.
• Demonstrate a sincere interest in the personal, academic and athletic progress of student-athletes.
• Exhibit supportive and cooperative behavior pursuing sport program goals set by the head coach.
• Demonstrate leadership ability and professional behavior when dealing with student-athletes.
• Analyze video of team and opponents using digital editing software.
• Manage game tape exchange.
• Efficiently and effectively complete tasks assigned by the head coach.
• Accept constructive criticism and work toward consistent professional improvement.
• Contribute to the maintenance of good working relationships with all members of the department through a positive and constructive approach to all tasks and respect for the competencies of others.
• Assist aspects of Department Management or Special Events Management as assigned.
• Instruct all student-athletes in the safe and correct execution of strength and conditional activities.
• Assist with the preparation and implementation of strength and conditioning programs for all William Smith athletic teams.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred. Degree(s) in physical education or related field preferred. Playing and/or coaching experience at the college-level highly preferred. Candidates must demonstrate strong potential to teach, lead and counsel college student-athletes and have enthusiasm for the recruiting duties of the position. NSCA certification preferred. CPR and First Aid certification required.
This is a full-time, 10-month, benefits-eligible, administrative salaried position. Evening and weekend work is required. This position description is not all-inclusive, as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Anticipated start date is August 13, 2012. Interested applicants should send a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three references to:
Office of Human Resources
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
337 Pulteney Street
Geneva, NY 14456
Hobart and William Smith Colleges are committed to attracting and supporting faculty and staff that fully represent the racial, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the nation and actively seek applications from under-represented groups. The Colleges do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, national origin, age, disability, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or any other protected status.
Founded as Hobart College for men and William Smith College for women, Hobart and William Smith Colleges today are a highly selective residential liberal arts institution with a single administration, faculty and curriculum but separate dean’s offices, student governments, athletic programs and traditions. The Colleges are located in a small diverse city in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. With an enrollment of approximately 2,000, the Colleges offer 62 different majors and minors from which students choose two areas of concentration, one of which must be an interdisciplinary program. Creative and extensive programs of international study and public service are also at the core of the Colleges’ mission.