Women’s Basketball Coach Job Description:
Campus Description: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island’s scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff. The University is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities and co-manager of nearby Brookhaven National Laboratory, a multidisciplinary research laboratory supporting world class scientific programs utilizing state-of-the-art facilities. Stony Brook University Medical Center is Suffolk County’s only academic medical center and tertiary care provider. Many opportunities exist for collaborative research, and in some cases, joint appointments with BNL or with Medical School departments.
Budget Title: Division I Coaching Assistant (RP)
Reference Number: WC-S-6708-12-05-F
Salary: Commensurate with experience
State Line#: 21191
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree. Prior full time experience in an administrative role or as a college basketball player and/or coach plus excellent organization and communication skills and an understanding of NCAA Rules Compliance. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver’s License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. Applicants must submit their operator’s license number on their application form for a motor vehicle check. (***Out-of-State Applicants, see “Special Notes” .)
Preferred Qualifications: Minimum of two years prior full time experience in an administrative role or as a college basketball player and/or coach. Previous experience in an athletic department environment.
Brief Description of Duties: The Coordinator of Women’s Basketball (WBB) Operations is responsible for the oversight of a variety of administrative tasks associated with the efficient operation of a Division I Women’s Basketball Program. This position will report directly to the Head Women’s Basketball Coach and will be the primary liaison with various Athletic Department staff members. The Coordinator will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating team travel, scheduling of practices and facilities, official visits and recruiting records, fundraising initiatives, alumni events, ticket requests, housing, financial aid, video needs, equipment purchases and disbursement, camps and clinics, and academic success of student-athletes for the WBB program. In addition, this position will be required to travel with each team throughout the season and train and supervise team managers.
- Compliance: Serve as the liaison to the Compliance Office for the Women’s Basketball Program. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, oversight of official/unofficial visit and student-athlete complimentary ticket requests, coordinating on-Campus visits (setting up itinerary, processing approvals, hospitality money disbursement), and documenting/tracking recruiting activity for both coaching staffs. Additional compliance-related duties include, processing all official/unofficial visit and contact/evaluation information with the Department Compliance Office as well as creating and maintaining a recruiting database.
- Business Operations: Serve as the liaison with the Office of Business Operations for the Women’s Basketball program. Duties include:
- Coordinating all aspects of team travel to include processing itinerary with Business Office to ensure on-time departures, lodging reservations, transportation and disbursement and reconciliation of meal advances. Additional duties include scheduling and ordering pre-game meals for all home contests and acting as liaison with host institution to secure practice/shoot-around times/locations, meeting space, locker rooms, and team meals.
- Working with equipment room staff on team equipment purchases, orders and disbursements. Maintain and track equipment inventory.
- Scheduling: Scheduling all practices (home and away) and securing facilities with Athletic Department staff. This includes negotiating court time, providing practice schedules to support staff and setting up court in advance for practices and shoot-arounds.
- Financial Aid/Housing: Liaison with the Senior Associate AD in dealing with all housing issues for the Women’s BasketballProgram. This includes troubleshooting room assignments and scheduling intercession housing for student-athletes and work with the Financial Aid Office to initiate grant-in-aid requests for prospective student-athletes.
- Academic Success of Student-Athletes: Work closely with the Student-Athlete Development staff to track the academic progress of Women’s Basketball athletes. This includes, providing team travel and practice schedules in order to notify professors of missed class dates, assisting with scheduling of classes and ensuring degree progression, monitoring student-athlete class attendance, supervising study hall as needed, and meeting frequently with student-athletes to discuss potential academic problems/difficulties.
- Team Management: Identifying, training and supervising student managers for the Women’s Basketball Program. This includes soliciting the student body to secure managers to assist with operations during practices and away contests.
- Video Management: As allowable by NCAA and America East Conference rules, the Coordinator will be responsible for handling all videotape needs for the Women’s Basketball Program. This includes coordinating tape exchange for conference and non-conference opponents, splicing game film and making player cut-up.
- Other duties as assigned by the Head Women’s Basketball Coach.
Special Notes: This is a part time appointment, days and hours will vary. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Night and/or weekend work is required. ***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent must obtain a NYS driver’s license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume to:
Department of Athletics
Indoor Sports Complex
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-3500
Fax#: (631) 632-7122
Job Category: L) Athletic Positions.
Additional Categories: B) Administrative and Professional Positions (excluding teaching and patient/clinical care).
We search multiple sources of basketball coaching jobs at www.CoachingBasketballWisely.com so you don’t have to! We want to help show you how to get a college basketball coaching job. It is your responsibility to verify the information. Good luck!