Responsible to the Director of Athletics with direct supervision by the head coach of the sport for providing coaching expertise and leadership for the administration of the intercollegiate athletics program;
assisting the head coach in the effective management and administration of all aspects relating to a positive and beneficial intercollegiate experience for student athletes; and performing other related duties.
The Assistant Coach, Men’s Basketball serves as an official representative of the University and as such shall promote a positive, first-impression by adopting and demonstrating a collegial, customer-service approach to students, parents, faculty, staff and other members of the University community.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLILITIES:
1. Assists the head coach in the organization and supervision of practices and contests.
2. Maintains standards of performance consistent with departmental academic and athletic expectations as reflected in the mission statement, goals, objectives, departmental guidelines, and performance appraisal procedures.
3. Assists in implementing a successful recruiting program to attract outstanding student-athletes to attend the University of Montevallo.
4. Conducts all aspects of the program within the rules, regulations, and procedures of the conference, the NCAA, the departmental policy manual, and the university.
5. Attends and participates in department and staff meetings as requested/required.
6. Coordinates and implements with the head coach eligibility requirements to ensure full compliance with governing rules and regulations, proper administration of financial aid for both prospective and enrolled student-athletes, facilities scheduling, and contest administration and game operations as necessary.
7. Communicates regularly and maintains a positive and constructive working relationship with the University departments and athletic support staff to assist in implementation of an efficient and effective program and department.
8. Engages in fund-raising activities for the program in conjunction with the head coach, athletic advancement and its representatives.
9. Represents the university at professional meetings, alumni gatherings, campus activities and civic affairs as requested by the head coach.
10. Encourages an effective outreach program with student-athletes that provide benefit to the on and off-campus community.
11. Maintains as appropriate effective relationships with parents, alumni, friends of the program, and others toward the positive image and promotion of the program.
12. Remains in full compliance with NCAA, University, and Peach Belt Conference rules.
13. Complies with all NCAA rules and regulations, and acknowledges this compliance as part of an annual evaluation process.
14. Performs other related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of basic principles of coaching/team supervision.
2. Ability to effectively coordinate recruiting activities.
3. Ability to maintain team discipline and instill proper ethical and moral standards.