Basketball Coach Job Description:
Type: Full-time, Regular
Salary Range: $38,000 to $42,000 per year
Application Deadline: June 15, 2012
Athletics – Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach/Coordinator of Intramurals
The Assistant Men’s Basketball Coach provides assistance in one or more of the following areas
related to components of the team: defense and/or offense teams. The individual will also
assist in the areas of recruitment, retention, skill training as it relates to developing a successful
NCAA Division II basketball program. In addition to the basketball coaching assignment, the
individual will serve as the Director of Intramurals. The Head Men’s Basketball Coach will serve
as the primary supervisor of this position.
- A Master’s degree preferred.
- Prior experience coaching at a collegiate level preferred.
- A minimum of three years basketball coaching experience at the high school, collegiate,
- or professional level.
- Or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Estimated on-the-job training time of: three months.
Required Ability to:
- Demonstrated success in skill instruction, practice/game plan development, general
- administrative duties and understanding of NCAA rules compliance.
- Effectively teach fundamentals and strategies of basketball collegiate-level athletes
- during practice sessions and to successfully coach strategy during games.
- Prepare effective practice plan/game strategy plan.
- Effectively communicate orally, in writing, and interpersonally.
- Motivate athletes to perform at peak ability.
- Physically demonstrate effective basketball maneuvers.
- Effectively critique and provide feedback on athletic ability of basketball athletes.
- Successfully recruit and retain talented athletes.
- Monitor academic progress (study table/progress reports) and success of position
- Develop and organize recruiting records. logs, and contact form for basketball per NCAA regulations.
- Submit reports required for position.
- Effectively counsel student-athletes on requirements for personal conduct, academic
- performance, and athletic participation, including good sportsmanship.
- Serve as an effective role-model for college-age men.
- Ability to operate an automobile, possession of a valid driver’s license, and an insurable
- driving record.
- Travel by air or ground transportation to assigned recruiting territories.
- Maintain detailed and accurate files and records.
- Organize tasks and time to ensure timely completion of all projects and responsibilities.Plan own work after objective is set by the supervisor.
- Adapt to and support a changing work environment.
- Direct personal actions and conduct to support the success of the departmental and
- university objectives, processes and managerial directives.
- Work extended days and weekends.
- Use good judgment in recognizing the scope of authority.
- NCAA Rules Compliance (Division II)
- NCAA Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse Procedures
- Basketball Rules & Regulations
- Basketball statistical knowledge
- Film exchange
- Video/Audio technology
- Recruiting Rules Compliance
- Recruitment of “Blue Chip” athletes
- Recruiting in the Northeast/Southeast Region of USA
- Collegiate coaching
Personal Characteristics Required:
- Consistent personal demonstration of good sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- Detail oriented with a multi-task aptitude.
- Should relate well with others and promote a positive demeanor.
- Sound judgment.
- Creative and forward thinking.
- Self-motivated with demonstrated high maturity level.
- Cooperative in maintaining working relationships with those contacted in the
- performance of duties.
- Comfortable working independently and maintaining multiple responsibilities.
- Comfortable working under deadline pressure.
- Reliability, regular attendance at work.
- Grooming and dress appropriate for a collegiate athletic environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instructor – Develop and train student-athletes in the sport of basketball.
- Coach – Develop and prepare student-athletes for competition.
- Recruiter – Indentify, evaluate and attract talented athletes to compete on the
- collegiate level athletically and academically.
- Implement effective strategies to retain students athletically and academically.
- Variable Coaching Assignments – (one or more assignments listed below)Ensure adherence to all rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines,
- Provide effective upward communication to supervisor.
- Effectively interacts and collaborates with other unit and athletic department team members.
- Identify needed areas of self-improvement and actively pursues appropriate means and
- methods to increase effectiveness in those areas.
- Effectively perform assigned projects to meet desired objectives and deadlines.
- Secondary Responsibilities: Director of Intramurals
- Develop the intramurals program for the general student population.
- Coordinate and facilitate the intramurals program.
- Coordinate activities in Manuel Rivero Hall during evening and weekend activities.
- Any other duties assigned by the Director of Athletics or designee.
- An individual in this position will be exposed to outdoor work in inclement and/or hot weather, daily physical activity, and seasonally be required to work extended days and weekends.