About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
- A four-year college of the 64-campus State University of New York (SUNY)
- Total enrollment – fall 2011: 1,823 with 1,232 members of the Regiment of Cadets
- The oldest and largest maritime college in the country
- Marine Engineering and Naval Architecture programs are ABET accredited
- Home of the Empire State VI, a 17,000 ton, 565-foot training ship
- Cadets travel to at least 12 foreign countries during three Summer Sea Terms
- NCAA Division III member of the Skyline Conference
POSITION SUMMARY: The Head Men’s Basketball Coach coordinates all aspects of SUNY Maritime College NCAA Division III Men’sBasketball activities including coaching, recruiting, organizing and planning both practice and competition strategies, scheduling, staffing, budgeting, fundraising, team management and administration.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Adhere to and enforce all departmental/College policies and procedures as well as rules and regulations of the NCAA and the Skyline Conference
- Oversee the recruitment of student-athletes within defined departmental strategies acceptable to standard Maritime College entrance requirements and within departmental resources designed specifically to promote timely graduation and effective use of athletic eligibility
- Support a positive student-athlete experience, which is reflected by both high retention and graduation rates among recruited student-athletes
- Provide necessary instruction for the teaching of fundamentals, game rules, and strategies relative to each sport
- Schedule and conduct regular practice sessions during traditional and non-traditional segments of the year
- Maintain team equipment inventory
- Monitor and support student-athlete academic progress
- Serve as a positive role model and mentor to the student community
- Provide counseling to student-athletes when appropriate
- Construct sport budgets and monitor the sport budget
- A four-year college degree
- Demonstrated Basketball coaching experience
- Excellent interpersonal, teaching and communication skills are essential
- Ability to recruit student athletes, develop successful programs and maintain operations (budget, equipment ordering, NCAA eligibility, game management, etc.) is required
The ideal candidate, in addition to the above, will:
- Have basketball coaching experience at the intercollegiate level
- Possess a Master’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Exhibit prior experience with student-athlete recruitment or the evidence of potential for success in recruitment
- Demonstrate evidence of ability to work well with college-age student-athletes and proven ability to perform administrative aspects of the program
- Have knowledge of NCAA Division III rules
- Certified in First Aid, AED, and CPR currently
Official Title: Head Coach
Local Title: Head Men’s Basketball Coach
Classification/Salary Range: $10,000.00
This position is a college year (10 month) part-time position.
Application Instructions: Persons interested in the above position should apply online at
– Cover letter and
– Contact information for three professional references.
Returning Applicants – Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.